Thursday 23 February 2017

The sky was clear (ish) when I got home

First posted to Stargazers Lounge 17th February 2017

Reasonably clear skies, Venus high and bright and about an hour from getting dark so, after negotiations with my Good Lady, dinner was delayed a little bit so I could set up.

This is the lightest sky I have experienced when observing Venus. As a result, utilising the X2 Barlow, 10mm EP and ND filter, the crescent was very discernible. There was a little too much high altitude haze for me to make out detail but the crescent was the best I have seen yet. 

After 20 minutes or so, I put the caps on the optics and went in to assist with dinner. Once the cooking, eating and clearing up was finished I was back outside.

Venus was still visible but was behind a tree so I went hunting. Using Starlight and Stelarium I tried for M31 but, once again I failed. I have a feeling this is a combination of factors- light pollution in the early evening, impatience on my part and a struggle to get on with my stock guide scope that came with the SW 150P. I am beginning to wonder if a future purchase of an RDF would help....

Whatever- the scope came out and I got some observing in.



No comments:

Post a Comment