Thursday 23 February 2017

Pesky security lights!

First posted to Stargazers Lounge forum 18th January 2017

Last night had a period of what seemed to be crystal clarity above so I broke out the rig and let it cool, heading out myself at about 19:45.

I started by zeroing in on the Orion nebula and, taking heed of what I had been advised, I spent a bit of time swapping between EP's (10 and 25) and including the BarlowX2. The wider FOV I used last night does make a big difference when appreciating the scale of the feature. I was pleased that I could still resolve the trapezium even when just on the 25mm
.
Having spent some time nebulising I decided to hunt for Andromeda again but really struggled (and failed in the end). I used Cassiopeia as my guide but just couldn't hit the galaxy. I have a feeling the light pollution from my neighbours security lights may have been to blame as the full FOV when hunting had a faint orange hue. The security lights are close to the point I set up last night (about 8 meters and they illuminated a good proportion of the side of my house. The bounce back of light was quite marked.
In the end I resorted to pointing my scope in the general direction and used the slo mo wheels of the EQ to quarter the sky. Had a nice surprise whilst doing this as a faint point of steady white light traversed the FOV. I think I got obs bombed by a satellite :icon_biggrin:

If the opportunity (and significant other) permit tonight, I may head out to a nearby common which I have identified as my potential (almost) dark sky zone for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment